PepsiCo has announced eight emerging nutrition, health and wellness brands that will join its first collaborative incubator programme in Europe. Designed to support nutrition food and beverage entrepreneurs, the PepsiCo Nutrition Greenhouse programme offers each of the eight participating companies a €25,000 grant and six months partnering with PepsiCo experts to accelerate the growth of their business.
The eight, one of whom will receive an additional €100,000 at the end of the programme, are:
- JIMINI’S (Montreuil, France) Nutrition packed snacks made from edible insects that are farmed in Europe to ensure quality and traceability as well as reduced environmental impact. https://www.jiminis.com/
- Divingmar (Malaga, Spain) Flavour-enhancing proteins rich in amino acids made from kombu, a variety of edible seaweed. http://www.divingmar.com
- Erbology (London, UK) Organic plant-based foods and drinks, powders and oils made free from chemicals and additives and produced in partnership with independent farmers. https://www.erbology.co.uk/
- Fit Kitchen (London, UK) High-protein, fibre-rich microwavable ready prepared meals designed by nutritionists to deliver meal options that are low in carbohydrates and under 300 calories. thefitkitchen.co.uk
- Frecious (Geneva, Switzerland) Ready-to-eat, sustainably made and conveniently packed fruit and vegetable products to accompany bread or crackers, use in salads or as a fresh condiment for grains, eggs, fish, and meats. https://www.frecious.com
- Nature On Tap Ltd / TAPPED Birch Water (London, UK) TAPPED Birch Water made from the rejuvenating liquid that flows inside birch trees. Tapping into centuries-old Nordic traditions, this product is full of nutrients, minerals and a natural source of the antioxidant manganese. http://www.tappedtrees.com/
- No Fairytales (Amsterdam, Netherlands) Tortilla wraps with a difference – made from carrots and beets. Containing 45% vegetables and high source of fibre with fewer kcals. http://nofairytales.nl/
- Your Superfoods (Berlin, Germany) Superfood mixes that add a nutritious boost to smoothies, juices, yogurt, muesli and snacks. Packed with the most powerful, nutrient-dense whole foods from around the world for more energy, immunity, antioxidants and protein. https://www.yoursuperfoods.eu/
The PepsiCo Nutrition Greenhouse (www.nutritiongreenhouse.com) was launched in March 2017 and focuses on nutrition food and beverage products aimed at European consumers with sales of €2 million or less. The eight companies were chosen based on their product and brand qualities, focus on consumer health, scalable business model and uniqueness in the market.
As well as receiving a €25,000 grant, the eight companies will partner with PepsiCo’s functional and brand experts in order to help them realise their market potential. Through a series of in-person workshops and virtual events, each company will work with their PepsiCo partner to address immediate market challenges and put in place plans to achieve accelerated growth.
At the end of the programme, the company that demonstrates the most breakthrough market approach, that is both sustainable and scalable, will be awarded a €100,000 prize to continue its expansion.
The PepsiCo Nutrition Greenhouse programme is part of PepsiCo’s commitment to open innovation and to collaborating with the entrepreneurs and innovators that are helping to shape the food and beverage industry. Juan Ignacio Amat, Vice President Nutrition for PepsiCo Western Europe and Sub-Saharan Africa and leader of the programme, commented:
“PepsiCo has constantly adapted with an eye towards the future. We’ve anticipated major shifts in the consumer landscape and business environment and have retooled to ensure we are positioned for sustainable growth. We were an early mover in the health and wellness space 20+ years ago and we keep learning every day. Our Nutrition Greenhouse programme will create a collaborative space with eight companies that also have an eye towards the future of the food and beverage industry. I, along with my fellow Greenhouse team at PepsiCo, welcome all eight to the programme – we can’t wait to harness our shared enthusiasm and drive to deliver accelerated, sustainable growth for convenient, nutritious products. I’m confident it will be a rewarding experience for everyone involved.”
Jimini’s President Bastien Rabastens, who founded the company with Clement Scellier, commented: “By 2050 the world’s population will reach 9 billion and experts say we will need two of our planets to feed us if we continue to eat the way we do today. It is clear we have to change and turn to less resource intensive foods – and this is why we started Jimini’s. Using more insects as a source of high quality protein instead of meat is a clear solution to the supply challenges we face, but we know that eating insects is in not in our culture in Europe and this is the commercial challenge we will seek to address as part of the PepsiCo Nutrition Greenhouse.”
More interest in nutrition?
Then take a quick look at the new programme of the Bridge2Food 10th Protein Summit 2017, 26-28 September 2017 (France). This great 5-in-1 Summit will bring together 400 leaders, 75 speakers and 60 exhibitors in the food, petfood and feed industry from retail, brands, ingredients, processing, research and universities. An ideal place to shape new networks and business. The 5 Summits are:
– Plant-based Foods Summit
– High Protein Foods Summit
– Protein Ingredients Summit
– Protein Processing Summit
– Protein 2030 Summit
Or download your brochure here.
Till 30 August new applications can be made for the Protein Awards.